Friday, November 23, 2007

Let The Taper Begin

I met up with Scott Grischow at 6 AM this morning in Memorial Park for our final long-run before Dallas. Our plan was to do 22 miles at a comfortable, conversational pace - no hammering.

And that's pretty much what we did. Scott had planted some bottles of water in River Oaks and we hit those at about 7 miles. We ended up going just a bit into downtown before his Garmin chimed 11 miles. We turned on a dime, I clicked the split, and we headed back to retrace our steps back to the park. We took a minor wrong turn somewhere along the way, which resulted in a total distance of 22.18 miles. We also stopped a couple of times for water on the way back in - once at Waugh and Allan Parkway, and one more time at our bottles in River Oaks. We covered the first 11 miles in 1:23:57, and the second 11 miles in 1:23:11, including stops. A well-managed, controlled run. Of course it helps that Scott is one heck of a runner - much better than I. And an interesting guy too. I found out during our run that Scott has climbed the highest peak in North America, South America, Africa, and I think Europe. Scott, were you surprised that I knew the names of those mountains, especially Australia and South America? Scott is heading to Australia in a month or so to conquer their highest mountain, and will do Everest next year. And I thought running marathons was a challange.

In hindsight I wish we'd have thrown in some marathon goal pace running but I just didn't think of it. And with the 10K yesterday I'm not sure how much of that we could have done anyway. Our pace worked out to 7:35 and it really felt almost effortless. I could have easily covered another 4 miles to get to 26.2, which would have worked out to a 3:18 marathon.

Now begins the taper. Very little running the next two weeks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Junie B said...

I predict a sub 3hour mary for you my friend.

Go get em tiger!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Lance Collins said...

Thanks for the love June. I'm certainly going to give it my best shot.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

it was great to see you--you were looking strong and you had to have been over half-way done.

best wishes!

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home